Thursday, March 31, 2011

Golden Hands

I recently purchased a selection of gorgeous kids crochet hat patterns from Bubnut. Having no crochet experience myself I have passed the patterns on to my very talented mother, who is always making cute crochet toys for my children.


Mum's crochet toys

My mum first began learning the art of crochet in 1972, at the age of 19, when she bought Part 1 in a series of magazines called 'Golden Hands'.


1972 editions of Golden Hands


Golden Hands is a guide to knitting, dressmaking and needlecraft, and it was published as 75 weekly parts. Mum still has her five copies of the magazine (parts one to six) that she bought in 1972, and they are full of fabulous retro patterns and photos.






Inspired by the hat patterns, cute crochet toys and the vintage Golden Hands magazines,  I will admit I have become a little excited about the idea of learning to crochet. A few days ago, armed with Golden Hands Parts 1 and 2, a crochet needle and a ball of yarn, I sat down to have a go.




I think I managed to make a slip loop, and hold the yarn and hook correctly, but sadly that was about as far as I got. But I'm hopeful that with a bit of effort, and a helping (golden) hand from mum, I will be whipping up 'Granny Squares' in no time. I will continue to post updates of my progress!

The Moda Sugar Pop Drink Coasters are now in my shop, and I will be listing the first of my stylish and practical shopping bags very soon. I should also mention that until Saturday I am offering FREE SHIPPING on all of my cushion covers!

No comments: